Re: RAM for PC164LX

John Goerzen [jgoerzen@complete.org] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an AlphaPC 164LX system with 256MB RAM that I'm wanting to expand to
> 512MB.  I have tried to find out, on various Internet sites, just what kind
> of RAM I need, and have found only conflicting information.  Indeed, popping
> in a standard PC133 DIMM from another PC was totally unrecognized by the
> Alpha.
>
> Certain sites seem to indicate that the 164LX uses proprietary RAM, and
> off-the-shelf stuff will not work.  Others say that off-the-shelf stuff WILL
> work, if chosen correctly.  Can anyone help me out?
>
> Also, some sites say modules must be added in pairs, while others dispute
> that.

You must add modules in identical pairs.

You need ECC SDRAM (PC100 or PC133 should be fine but it must be ECC).

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics]

    "You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the
    freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman