Alphastation 500 & Cirrus Video Cards

Hi,

I inherited some DEC Alphastation computers, and have
been patiently trying to get X Windows to work... I
have cirrus logic 5430 video card in them, the XFree86
site says 4.2 supports it, the drivers seem to exist
on i386 platforms in the modules directory, but not on
the alpha architecture installation of Sarge I
have.....

A quick google describes this problem that the Cirrus
drivers were never ported - but all the msgs I found
were over two years old....  Anything new here?  A new
video card isn't really an option as I have a bunch of
these machines.  Is it as simple (or more likely as
hard) as downloading source from the XFree86 site and
compiling X?  Any help or ideas appreciated....

Thanks