From: "Kerstin Hoef-Emden" <Kerstin.Hoef-Emden@Uni-Koeln.DE>
To: <debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: Alpha Tempurature

Hi,

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Zachary Giles wrote:

> I have a DEC Personal Workstation 500a ( 21164 @500Mhz ).  Just
> Installed Debian 3.0r1 with Kernel 2.4.18-1 (recompiled). Great
> distro. Very pleased. First time using debian.  Anyway - to the
> question at hand: Is there any way to get cpu tempurature monitoring
> of the alpha, and if so, what would an acceptable tempurature be for
> an alpha?

I haven't heard of temperature monitoring for alphas, but I was once
told that they switch themselves off, if the CPU fan fails. I guess, the
safest way is to have a powerful fan attached and to take care that the
case is appropriate in size, i.e. not too crowded with devices.

> I know the acceptable tempurature for an intel-like chip is around
> 40C. Perhaps It's different for alpha?

As far as I've heard, todays Intels and alike are usually hotter than
40C.

Best wishes,

Kerstin

--