Success with RAID1 on Alpha

I'd like to report success with software RAID1 on my PC164LX. I know some people were reporting failure with software raid on Alpha some months ago.

I used stock kernel: 2.4.22-rc2 with a patch from <http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg02526.html>. This patch is absolutely required, or any I/O to the built raidset caused a kernel oops.

I build raid1 and md as modules, which means I am unable to RAID my / partition without hacking init scripts to do a chroot on boot (or using an initrd, which I consider too much trouble). I'm also not sure autorecognition would work anyway, since I don't know how to mark a BSD disklabel partition as part of a RAID (in DOS partition format, you use partition type 'fd' but BSD disklabel partition types seem to only go up to 0x10). I'm also lucky that LX can boot off of its builtin IDE controller, or I'd still need SCSI (or floppy :-) ).

All other filesystems are now off of two identical 120GB Maxtor IDE drives. Getting rid of the old, small, power-hungry SCSI drives (and controller) has made my UPS much happier :-)

In order to boot aboot/SRM off of an IDE drive, I had to either manually specifiy 'boot dqa0.0' or remove the second (slave) drive from the primary IDE controller. With the second drive present, 'b dqa0' would give "Failed to send Read to dqa0' error messages. This means that auto_action boot did not work. I'm not sure if this is specific to my setup or not.

I also configured the root filesystem with 'mke2fs -j -O none' (i.e. kernel 2.2-compatible ext2) for aboot's sake, though I don't know if this was strictly necessary.

For the non-Alpha-specific parts, I followed the Software RAID HOWTO at <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html>

jekyl:~$ df -h
/dev/hda2             1.9G  173M  1.6G  10% /
/dev/md2              9.2G  2.1G  6.7G  25% /usr
/dev/md1              2.8G  754M  1.9G  29% /var
/dev/md3               33G  8.1G   23G  27% /home
/dev/md4               33G  2.6G   29G   9% /backup
/dev/md5               33G   33M   31G   1% /scratch

jekyl:~$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] read_ahead 1024 sectors
md5 : active raid1 hdc7[1] hda7[0]
      34811200 blocks [2/2] [UU]
      md4 : active raid1 hdc6[1] hda6[0]
      34810688 blocks [2/2] [UU]