Re: Success report: Radeon 7500, mystery manufacturer

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 02:37:28PM -0500, Richard Fillion wrote:

> As far as I know, no nVidia cards will work in an alpha.

Well, I've had luck with some of the old ELSA TNT2 PCI cards in the
"best BIOS emulator" boxes, like LX/SX/MIATA, and EV6-based ones.
Nice little screamers they are, too, using the XFree86 "nv" driver,
they really *smoke* the Millenniums (Millennia?) in a number of
2D operations...

But not many of the more advanced/recent cards seem to come in PCI,
so I've not tried any of them; thus, YMMV, etc...

> I've got a Radeon 7000, wonderful card, does awesome 2D, but I couldnt
> get 3D going for the life of me.   But by the looks of it, that may be
> something i should be happy about, cause instability is not something i
> put up with.

It really is unstable only in certain 3D areas, like "pipes" and when
the server would like to use TCL (IMHO). Most other things, like
"tuxracer" and "chromium" and the other xscreensavers, have been fine.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression... :-\

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com