Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

Gregory P. Smith wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:21:43PM +0200, Adrian Zaugg wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:18:08 -0400
Ed Schindler <edschindler-linux@comcast.net> wrote:

when I read that a lot of alpha-specific patches had gone into it. And it did compile a whole lot more cleanly. It just doesn't boot.

I had the same problem compiling 2.4.20 until I used gcc3.2.

Amusingly enough I was unable to build a 2.4.21 kernel that didn't
hang during IDE initilization until i reverted to using gcc 2.95.4.
2.4.20 built and worked fine for me with gcc 3.2.

One sad regression between 2.4.20 -> 2.4.21 is that the IDE subsystem
no longer seems to work when built as modules (lots of depmod unmet
dependancy errors).  At least that's the case for my PC164LX with
the onboard CMD IDE controller.  (its not that important; but with ide
modules i could unmount that drive, unload the modules and take the disk
out of its removable drive sled, put a new one in, reload the modules
and remount and be off and running without a reboot.)

<snip>
I did manage compile a bootable 2.4.21 kernel on my PWS500 by turning off the CMD64x chipset support, as suggested by Tyson Whitehead earlier on this list. (There are two CMD64x config settings, if I remember correctly. I kept the one that appeared first in menuconfig and turned off the other (x=2,4,6?) -- sorry my memory is fuzzy and I'm not near the machine.) Compiled it with gcc 3.2.1. My config was really simple, stripped everything I could and with no modules. Config was "pure linux from scratch" 4.1, not Deb.