Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

On Wed, 2003-07-02 21:32:28 -0500, Kelledin <kelledin+DAXP@skarpsey.dyndns.org>
wrote in message <[🔎] 200307022132.28162.kelledin+DAXP@skarpsey.dyndns.org>:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2003 05:28 pm, Craig Small wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:47:04PM -0700, Chris Hecker wrote:
> > > Writing to srm variables didn't work for me either (PC164),
> > > nor somebody else who mailed me.  It went from hard-hanging
> > > the machine to just toasting the vga text mode but I could
> > > still ssh in.  Yet another reason I went back to MILO.  :)
> >
> > I have a PC164SX and I'm using SRM and aboot.  Do you find
> > that it randomly wont reboot sometimes?  I cannot off hand
> > remember the error message but it says to press some key (like
> > reset, but not the reset key) and only a power cycle fixes it.
> >
> > I've never been able to reliably reboot the alpha, leaving
> > aside kernel not working type problems.
>
> Sounds a lot like the problems I first had with my PC164LX.
> Basically it couldn't halt without getting a machine check
> error, and usually it wouldn't successfully reboot either.

That's a kernel bug. Any O/S should leave PCI devices as it got them
from SRM, Linux doesn't restore the old configuration. SRM panics,
'init' will soft-reboot and cure the situation.

> That all apparently fixed itself when I flashed SRM from 5.1 up
> to 5.8.

No. Newer SRM versions will re-configure PCI devices whenever an O/S
returns control back to SRM. But that's only some kind of workaround...

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));