Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

On Thu, 2003-07-03 08:28:50 +1000, Craig Small <csmall@enc.com.au>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20030702222850.GE22242@enc.com.au>:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:47:04PM -0700, Chris Hecker wrote:
> > Writing to srm variables didn't work for me either (PC164), nor somebody
> > else who mailed me.  It went from hard-hanging the machine to just toasting
> > the vga text mode but I could still ssh in.  Yet another reason I went back
> > to MILO.  :)
>
> I have a PC164SX and I'm using SRM and aboot.  Do you find that it
> randomly wont reboot sometimes?  I cannot off hand remember the error
> message but it says to press some key (like reset, but not the reset
> key) and only a power cycle fixes it.

That's one more kernel bug I want to fix since *ages*. Basically, in
2.2.x times, the Linux kernel recorded any PCI configuration changes it
did to the hardware and rolled them back before dropping to SRM. With
2.4.x and 2.5.x, it doesn't do this any longer which leads to
non-working PCI devices (think SCSI controller!) in SRM. Then, SRM
panics because it cannot read any HDD. Use 'init' to soft-reboot the box
- it will then reconfigure it's PCI hardware.

Notice that there are still comments in ./linux/arch/alpha/process.c
(IIRC) to record PCI changes and to restore old setting before going to
SRM...

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));