Looking for some help with Alpha Linux

I am looking for some advise or hints if you guys are willing to advise.
I have not been able to piece together all the bits I need to determine what version and pieces I should run to do:

1) Desktop box that will allow me to do surfing, docs that are compatible with word (rtf is fine), some gimp stuff, some audio ripping and conversion. I have a couple of 250/4 266 boxes I want to do this with. I keep looking at KDE and gnome for this. 2) web server wtih php/mysql, webmail. I have a 164LX box I want to use to do this. but I could use a 3000 box I have - that would be my choice, cause I want to... 3) put together a beowulf or beowulf-like cluster using 5 164LX boxes and 2 DS10 boxes. 4) Server for compiling and kernel building, app building, I havea 164lx/600 with a gig and lots of disk for this.

I have most of my machines running netbsd now, but I am not able to get KDE to really build right even on some of the vga cards that are supposed to be supported. I would like to have all the boxes or most of the boxes running the same os, and am willing to convert to linux if I can get the right one that supports Alpha. Debian has been solid for a good while on one of my boxes. I just got a new to me machine, dual cpu 1000 running redhat. The gnome and kde stuff run fine on this box. Getting me excited about running KDE or gnome on an alpha. I have one other box running debian, 2.2, and it is fine for what I use it for.
thanks
bob