Re: alpha kernel memory leak

(Please correct me where I'm wrong.)

Generally, a memory leak is where an often called piece of code
dynamically allocates itself some memory for temporary usage, and
then fails to release that memory before being called again.

This situation might be indicated by running out of swap space, at
which point the machine should grind to a halt (all processes), but
the memory usage reflected by the "top" or "free" commands won't show
it.  Swap space should be twice the size of physical memory.

> ...top reports 505MB used, 5MB free, ...

Such memory usage is normal and desirable, and is not an Alpha or
a Debian or even a Linux thing.  That's what the memory is for: to
be used to the max for minimum paging/swaping.  Since no process can
run until it is loaded into memory, processes are unloaded only when
it's time for some other process to run, and if that new process does
not already reside in memory.  Only a portion of a process's code is
loaded as needed, so even if no new processes are started after booting,
the memory usage will increase to approach the max, as needed portions
are loaded and un-needed blocks are left as is until there is no more
memory available (then swaping commences apace).

-Martin