Re: AlphaStation 500 MILO problems + Voodoo questions

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Jay Estabrook wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:18:15AM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
> >
> > I'm using the XLT MILO and finally can report success:
> >
> > the problem with MILO unable to spin up the disk was solved by
> > setting a jumper on the hard drive (PARITY DISABLE).
>
> Interesting; what kind of disk?

A Segate Medalist Pro SCSI 4GB, LP, Fast/Ultra drive 7.2K RPM, Model
number ST345620 (I can't remember the exact model number, but I think
it's correct). It was taken out of a HP 9000/782 C240 and has a
HP branded Firmware (something like 'HP 1.01')

> > So booting using MILO works mostly, except that it doesn't do it
> > automatically.
> >
> > E.G. I can boot the installed Debian/Linux on the harddrive with:
> >
> > MILO> boot scda1:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
>
> If you set the LOADOPTIONS parameter of the boot selection to the
> boot command you want, as above, it will...

I see, that makes sense ;)

> > I can now run X from the XLT MILO, 3d works aswell (if I use 16bpp,
> > Voodoos hardware limitation).
>
> Excellent!
>
> > However I have to boot from CDROM, start the XLT MILO, enter the boot
> > command until I finally can use my machine.
> >
> > So now I try to create a FAT partition, put MILO on it so I can use
> > my Linux on the harddisk (which was installed using SRM, but luckily
> > MILO understands BSD disklabels).
>
> You'll need more than a FAT partition, as AlphaBIOS doesn't understand
> BSD partitions.

I know, I was thinking of putting a second HD in it, partition a FAT
and putting MILO on it. However I think I'll just reinstall Debian
using MILO/ARC.

> Easiest is to start the installation over, and repartition the disk
> with a DOS-style partition table. Make the first partition small (5MB?)
> and DOS FS, and put linload.exe and MILO in there.

One question (which is not covered in the FAQ): dos I just need a FAT
partition, or do I have to format the FAT drive aswell? The FAQ just
says I need a FAT partition, but it also says it will copy over MILO and
linload.exe to the FAT partition if one is found.

I'm a little bit confused here; does the debian installation offer
something like mkdosfs? Does it format the FAT partition if it is not
already formatted? Or do I have to partition AND format it before I try
to install debian?

Thanks in advance,
  Max

PS: my AS500/500 is very picky when it comes to floppy disks.
    Can I replace the floppy disk drive with a normal PC one?
    How much would you pay for a 512MB kit (4x128MB) for a AS500/500?