Re: Fwd: Re: Alpha kernels

George France [france@handhelds.org] wrote:
> There have been many patches of the past several month, but you will not see
> them on the kernel.org mailing list.  2/3 of the patches that get into
> kernel.org are done very very quietly.  The best way to see these patches is
> to use bitkeeper to see the recent patches submitted by Richard or Ivan along
> with others. :-)
>
> yes the stock kernels have benn broken for a while, but most users do not use
> the stock kernels and most alpha developers have or know where to get good
> bits, so it really does not matter, except for new users. Maybe I should put
> a small article about this on alphalinux.org.  (yes, I host alphalinux.org
> for Richard Payne  )

Yes please!  The hobby community is growing quite large, and we don't
magically know where to get the secret alpha stuff!  :)  (or maybe I'm
just out of the loop :)

Cheers,
-- Bob

> On Wednesday 23 April 2003 05:29 pm, you wrote:
> > George France [france@handhelds.org] wrote:
> > > ROFLOL!
> > >
> > > It is not a question of holding the patches.  It is more of a question of
> > > acceptability and timing.  The maintainers have had most of these patches
> > > for months.  The devil is in the details caused by the submaintainers and
> > > Linus.
> >
> > Sorry I didn't mean to be funny...maybe I misunderstand the pecking
> > order here.  ;)
>

> > Anyway it's been over a year since I saw any significant patches for
> > alpha.  Several stock kernel versions did not compile out of the box or
> > are outright broken on alpha...  And I have experienced a number of
> > problems myself, mostly VM and scheduler related...
> >
> > I have initiated discussion on the debian-alpha list, hopefully we will
> > get your patches into the stock debian kernel.

Bob McElrath [Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics]

    "You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the
    freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman