Fwd: Re: Alpha kernels

Subject: Re: Alpha kernels
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:50:55 -0400
From: George France <france@handhelds.org>
To: Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de>,
debian-alpha@lists.debian.org

On Saturday 19 April 2003 07:36 am, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 01:49:25AM -0500, Bob McElrath wrote:
> > Where does one go to find *current* *working* alpha kernels?

ftp://alpha.crl.dec.com/pub/linux/people/france/kernel-2.4.18/

These are the bits that we are currently testing at HP.  These bits are very
stable except for a few issues on higher end systems that are being
addressed. We hope to have most of these bits into 2.4.22 and 2.5.70.  There
are still some bits / drivers that will never be in the stock kernel.org
kernels.  This includes but is not limited to the ferel driver and the
forward port of 2.4.3 tulip driver.  I would suggest that when 2.4.18-27 for
RH-7.2 for alpha is offically available for download, that you download the
src rpm and dig through the patches.  All of the patches from us should have
'hp' in the file name.  Yes, these files are rpms and you are going to need
to extract the kernel and the initrd for use on Debian systems.  Maybe, one
of these days, if I get a spare moment, I will port some of the patches to
the Debian kernel, but I would not wait for me..........

> ftp.xx.kernel.org, replace xx by your country, i.e. de for germany. If
> you need certain enterprise features or have a little supported
> machine, then you should download the latest kernel from HP
> (search on the RedHat axp-list for details) and apply the appropriate
> patches -- but almost everything should work out of the box.
>
> > Who is the maintainer of the alpha arch?

At kernel.org in the MAINTAINERS file, linux-2.5.68:

ALPHA PORT
P:      Richard Henderson
M:      rth@twiddle.net
S:      Odd Fixes for 2.4; Maintained for 2.5.
P:      Ivan Kokshaysky
M:      ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru
S:      Maintained for 2.4; PCI support for 2.5.

> There is no "maintainer" as far as I know. Various people contribute
> to the alpha relevant bits. Alpha is rather closly tied in the kernel
> itself (the original port was made by Linus himself) and has been
> working very good for ages now. There are only some enterprise
> features (high load on some network cards, large memory configuration
> and similar things) "not yet merged".
>
> > Is there anyone maintaining a tree specifically for alpha?

yes, HP currently maintains and updates RH-7.2 for Alpha.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

--George