Fwd: ICP Vortex driver fails

This should have went to the list as well.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Petrakis <voodoo@alphadriven.org>
Date: Sun Apr 6, 2003  9:20:08  PM US/Eastern
To: Joerg Hoh <joerg@devone.org>
Subject: Re: ICP Vortex driver fails

The patch is -not- supposed to be used against the one provided
by the kernel. Go to their website and install that version and patch
-that-. It should  apply just fine.

That patch is very old. Version 1.28 is from August 1999 :-(

That's not so bad. it looks like the same driver in 2.4.20. I was going out of my way when I fixed their kernel versioning for them. If you just want
"the fix" (hack).

(from lxr.linux.no)

501 #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x010300
502 static void *gdth_mmap(ulong paddr, ulong size)
503 {
504     if (paddr >= high_memory)
505         return NULL;
506     else
507         return (void *)paddr;
508 }
509 static void gdth_munmap(void *addr)
510 {
511 }
512 inline ulong32 virt_to_phys(volatile void *addr)
513 {
514     return (ulong32)addr;
515 }
516 inline void *phys_to_virt(ulong32 addr)
517 {
518     return (void *)addr;
519 }

Change those instances from ulong32 to ulong. The kicker is if they
had used the proper kernel versioning macros it wouldn't be evaluating
this block and instead use the stock virt_to_phys & phys_to_virt functions.

So this driver has been running with the OLD 2.1 API for years and any
of their new changes are never accessed, so they're never tested. I
wonder why they didn't use my patch... Hmmm.... Support costs?

I try to apply the patch manually and do then further testing.

Btw: Building a kernel fails with different messages (depends on the
configuration); sometimes seems to be error in the assembler, sometimes
there are errors in the parser. Something known about this?

I have no idea. It shouldn't. Please post the errors to the list. Maybe
someone else could lend some insight.

Peter