Re: Qlogic 1040B

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 05:57 am, Jan Lentfer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 12:38, Kelledin wrote:
> > IIRC, the 1040B is a high-voltage differential (HVD)
> > adapter. SCSI is most commonly either single-ended (SCSI-1,
> > SCSI-2, Ultra SCSI) or low-voltage differential (Ultra2 or
> > greater).  HVD was a stop-gap standard between SE and LVD,
> > and it's electrically compatible with neither one.  HVD
> > controllers only work with HVD drives, and vice versa. :(
> >
> > Just to confirm this, you can either look for a "SCSI DIFF"
> > label next to the card's external SCSI port, or look for an
> > array of eight yellow resistor packs--next to the external
> > SCSI port--running parallel to the internal SCSI connectors.
> >  Either one means you've got an HVD card.
>
> Heck, this was something I didn't know :(
> I found both items on the card.
> I have a DEC Storage Bay lying around with 2 4.5GB disks. Any
> chance to get that woring on the Qlogic?

Well, the only thing I know of to convert between HVD and LVD/SE
is a multimode expander--try rancho.com for such things in this
day and age.  They're rare and generally more expensive than a
brand new SCSI controller, though, so you probably don't want
that.

I wish I could help, but the only 1040B card I've got is also an
HVD card.  I've got a spare ISP1080, but I'm fairly certain it
wouldn't work under the Miata's SRM--and I'm guessing you got
the QLogic card just to have something that worked with the
Miata's SRM. ;)

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"