Re: Personal Workstation 500au problem with a cirrus board

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 03:53:25PM +0100, Xavier Grave wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 15:16, Jay Estabrook wrote:
>
> Don't found anything which looks like PBX... But here is my lspci :
> 01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5430/40 [Alpine] (rev 47)
> 01:05.0 Display controller: Intergraph Corporation: Unknown device 00eb (rev
> 40)
>
> And I have a big INTENSE 3D written on the board.

Sigh... :-\

I was hoping for a TGA2, but what you've got is one of the Intergraph
boards that we (DEC/COMPAQ/HP) OEMed from them.

They also had a Cirrus VGA for text mode console support, AND occupied
two (2) PCI slots, as you can see, the second slot for the accelerator
(better than both having to go through a bridge, IMHO).

Nice cards, so I'm told, but there are no free X servers that support
them, AFAIK. And almost certainly not even any commercial ones that'll
run under Alpha Linux.

Best option is to replace it with something known to work well with
the older Alphas, such as Matrox Millenniums or some of the ATI Mach64s.
The ATI Rage128 and the original ATI Radeon work on there quite nicely,
and will do 3D with the appropriate XFree86 (4.1.0 or later). The later
Radeons may be more of a problem, though the 7000 (VE) ought to be OK,
but I don't know about the 7500 or 9000 PCI versions...

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com