Personal Workstation 500au problem with a cirrus board

Hi,

I'm quite new to linux alpha (but not to x86 and ppc) and I've just get a
hand on a Personal Workstation 500au. I have problem with the configuration
of my board.

I have download and compiled the last Xfree86 CVS tree.
With this x-server I'm able to run with a 800x600 mode in 8 bits depth color.

If I try to specify another mode I have a no screen found error.
All of this is very confusing because if I have a look at the pci id of the
board I get a 5430 ID chif but If I have a look at the hardware I can see a
cirrus chip ID of 5440. And if I do a XFree86 -configure I have the following
description : BoardName   "GD 5430/40 [Alpine]"

Does anybody already run one of those boards under X11 ?

Any help apreciated...

O+ xavier