Re: Mylex Extremeraid 3000 + DAC960 woes.

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 02:53:50AM +0100, T. Weyergraf wrote:

> I got a Mylex Extremeraid 3000 ( the fibre-channel Raid controller ),
> which ist being supported by the DAC driver according to the docs.
>
> [...]
> PCI: dev Mylex Corporation eXtremeRAID 2000/3000 support Device type 64-bit
> [...]
> DAC960: ***** DAC960 RAID Driver Version 2.4.11 of 11 October 2001 *****
> DAC960: Copyright 1998-2001 by Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@dandelion.com>
> DAC960#0: Unable to Enable Memory Mailbox Interface for Controller at
> DAC960#0: PCI Bus 1 Device 8 Function 0 I/O Address N/A PCI Address 0xA000000
>
> As one can see, the card is found and identified according to the
> PCI database, but it fails initalisation.
>
> The systems' specs are:
> UP2000, dual CPU ( EV67 )
> potato, current fixes applied,
> Kernel 2.4.19
> The controller's BIOS is enabled ( however SRM does not see it ).
> The controller runs ok in an x86-box, which i used to setup the controller
> and the RAID itself.
> I'm aware, that SRM won't let me boot off the RAID, or even configuring it.
> I can live with that.
>
> Any ideas ?

You didn't say, but is there any chance you are running that UP2000
with more than 2GB of memory? If so, then be aware that the stock
DAC960 driver has NOT been ported to use the large memory API.

If you DO have more than 2GB of memory, a simple test to see if this
is the cause of the problem would be to boot limiting memory to 2GB,
ie, add "mem=2G" to the boot command line.

If this is indeed the case, I do have some (unofficial) patches to
the DAC960 driver which appear to work for large memory configurations.
Let me know if you want them.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com