Re: Tru64 emulation

Jon Peatfield wrote:

I was wondering where I could find more about emulating Tru64 binaries on Linux. I've had a browse around http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/affinity/affinity-tools.html and that seems to refer to Linux->Tru64 emulation.

DEC/Compaq/HP (sigh), released a set of compatability libraries
(basically lifted from Tru64 together with /sbin/loader etc), under a
licence which doesn't require a Tru64 licence (and is
re-distributable) which allow many dynamlic Tru64 binaries to run on
Linux/Alpha.  In particular netscape4, acroread work, but some stuff
(like matlab, idl) doesn't 'cos they need extra libs which arn't in
the included set.

Some distros seem to include them as a package called "Tru64-compat",
but Debian doesn't (wrong kind of licence I would guess).  You could
pick up an rpm (for example) and convert it (alien etc).

I suppose I could ask why Tru64-compat isn't in non-free (on the
mirror I looked at anyway), but I'll leave that to people who decide
these things.

Because nobody's taken the time to package it yet... :-P

When a developer itches there, it will get scratched. (I've never had any use for this, so don't look at me. :-)

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>