RE: up2000 second cpu slot fried?

> They are Variacs - not isolation transformers.  One leg of the primary coil
> is connected to the secondary.  In a fault situation there is no protection
> from the mains.

A Variac(tm) is not an isolation transformer however you can purchase them with
that feature. I would never use one without it. The proper name would be
Variable
AC Isolation Transformer. I call it "thing takes up too much bench space and I
can never find bus fuses when I need them" ;-). I was trying to explain in
laymen terms previously, I didn't want him using a variac without one for
safety. Sorry for the confusion.

Peter
--
www.linuxalpha.org	www.alphadriven.org