Re: up2000 second cpu slot fried?

Hi,

> well, i got my up2000. unfortunetly, when i installed it in the case, part of
> the board touched the case and a big cloud of brown smoke came out. the mobo
> looks ok; the burn marks are on the case, near the isa slot. i think it just
> burned the clear-coating that's on the steel case. needless to say, my heart
> sunk and i thought i fried a whole expensive (and hard to find on ebay) mobo.

... well ....

> i set the all the jumpers right, and put it into diagnostic mode. everything
> passes. cards work on both pci buses. the only thing that doesn't is the left
> cpu slot. i have two 667mhz 4mb slot b modules. both work in the right slot,
> so i know it's not a bad cpu. however, if i put one cpu in the left slot, or
> both cpus in, it won't even boot into srm or the diagnostics. both srom leds
> stay lit. am i missing something simple, or did i fry it?

You most likely fried it. But there is some hope. First of all, the *only* circuits
on the board capable to carry enough power to "fry" something ( e.g. burn
coating ) are the power-lines directly feeded by the on-board voltage regulator.
If the system itself works with one CPU equipped, I suspect, that the second
CPU either does not get power at all of not all power-lines get fed.
The UP2000 uses on-board voltage-regulators. I would consult the technical
reference manual for the UP2000 and check the pinout of the Slot-B
connector, which is documented, IIRC.
Using a simple voltmeter, I would boot the system using one CPU and check
the voltage-lines on the - suspected - dead Slot-B slot. There is a chance,
that you:
1. fried one voltage-regualtor
2. fried some power-line to the Slot-B module.
If i had to pick chances, i'd go for option 1, which is unfortunately nastier to fix.

With a little effort ( and be damn careful *this* time ;-), you can check, if proper
voltage is supplied to the Slot-B. If some or all V's are missing, get enough beer
and go to a friend which has enough experience with these things.

Voltage-regulators can be darn tricky beasts sometimes, so i'll refrain from giving
any advice how to measure the circutry itself, but i've found the technical
reference manual and the Tsunami chipset documentation a valuable source
of information for my personal messing-around with my UP2000 ;-)

Good luck & thumbs up !

Regards,
T. Weyergraf