Re: SCSI broken on 2.4.18?

On Saturday 02 November 2002 06:23 pm, Kelledin wrote:
> On Saturday 02 November 2002 04:12 pm, Kelledin wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 November 2002 08:12 am, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> > > Your symptoms, SCSI bus timeouts, are sometimes indicative
> > > of a misconfigured kernel.
> > >
> > > When you built those custom kernels, were they GENERIC or
> > > specific for the LX? If the latter, AND you are booting
> > > from SRM, did you make sure to answer the "Use SRM as
> > > bootloader?" question as YES? If, on the other hand, you
> > > are booting from MILO, make sure to answer that question
> > > as NO.
> >
> > Ah...so if I'm using aboot (or anything _but_ MILO), I still
> > have to check that box?  ...I did not know that; I thought
> > that option applied to some crazy
> > boot-the-kernel-straight-off-floppy option (as in x86, with
> > the first 512 bytes of the kernel image being a boot
> > sector). I learn something new every day...
> >
> > The system now boots just fine, thanks a bunch!
>
> Well, I spoke a little too soon. =(
>
> The thing now tends to lock up _after_ the kernel is done
> booting.  Currently I'm booting it with "init=/bin/bash" just
> to take the boot scripts out of the picture.  It appears to
> lock up whenever it does any significant disk access--i.e. I
> can have it "echo HELLO" all day long, but if I try to do "ls
> /" or examine a file, it displays just what I expect, then
> locks up hard before giving me another command prompt.  I
> specified
> "ncr53c8xx=safe:y,wide:0,verb:2,debug:0x1fff" on the kernel
> command line, and I got a lot of kernel messages on the
> console, but none seem to hint at what the problem is.  I'm
> unable to even get klogd up, so I'm not getting much of
> anything there either.  So I'm still stuck on 2.2...
>
> Any other ideas as to what's going on?  I'd try testing the
> ISP1040 controller again, but it's HVD--so I don't actually
> have anything I can connect to it. =/

Hmmm ok...

...the Debian hack of 2.4.18 works great.  WTG Debian!

So the problem's just in _my_ patched 2.4.18.  I'll have to
figure out what's breaking, but I can probably take it from
here.  Worst case, I get stuck with Debian's hack of 2.4.18, and
I think I can live with that...

Thx to everyone for the help, especially Sir Estabrook. :)

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"