Re: SCSI broken on 2.4.18?

On Saturday 02 November 2002 04:12 pm, Kelledin wrote:
> On Saturday 02 November 2002 08:12 am, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> > Your symptoms, SCSI bus timeouts, are sometimes indicative
> > of a misconfigured kernel.
> >
> > When you built those custom kernels, were they GENERIC or
> > specific for the LX? If the latter, AND you are booting from
> > SRM, did you make sure to answer the "Use SRM as
> > bootloader?" question as YES? If, on the other hand, you are
> > booting from MILO, make sure to answer that question as NO.
>
> Ah...so if I'm using aboot (or anything _but_ MILO), I still
> have to check that box?  ...I did not know that; I thought
> that option applied to some crazy
> boot-the-kernel-straight-off-floppy option (as in x86, with
> the first 512 bytes of the kernel image being a boot sector).
> I learn something new every day...
>
> The system now boots just fine, thanks a bunch!

Well, I spoke a little too soon. =(

The thing now tends to lock up _after_ the kernel is done
booting.  Currently I'm booting it with "init=/bin/bash" just to
take the boot scripts out of the picture.  It appears to lock up
whenever it does any significant disk access--i.e. I can have it
"echo HELLO" all day long, but if I try to do "ls /" or examine a
file, it displays just what I expect, then locks up hard before
giving me another command prompt.  I specified
"ncr53c8xx=safe:y,wide:0,verb:2,debug:0x1fff" on the kernel
command line, and I got a lot of kernel messages on the console,
but none seem to hint at what the problem is.  I'm unable to
even get klogd up, so I'm not getting much of anything there
either.  So I'm still stuck on 2.2...

Any other ideas as to what's going on?  I'd try testing the
ISP1040 controller again, but it's HVD--so I don't actually have
anything I can connect to it. =/

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"