Re: DVD player for Alpha?

> Hello !
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:14:05PM -0400, Thomas Evans wrote:
> > I've been playing with xine and one of those DeCSS decoders
> > on my 164LX (600Mhz) trying to get it to reliably play DVDs.
>
> Reliable = xine crashes ?

Well, when I use the XVideo method, I often get failed X requests:

X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Atom id in failed request:  0x2c0000b
  Serial number of failed request:  2624

If I use the XShm method instead, it works pretty reliably
Last night I stopped using esd for audio and used oss instead
and the audio became bearable at that point, but the video is stil
bad.

> > The performance is terrible - I can play DVDs with NT4 just
> > fine on this machine (granted with an Alpha optimized player).
>
> Two things come to my mind:
> a) Did you compile xine yourself for your architecture (optimization) ?
> b) Do you have XVideo extensions available under X ? (see below)

I did rebuild xine with ccc and used "-O4 -arch host" when I did.
Then I realized xine was using libmpeg.so for mpeg decode and
I downloaded tht and rebuilt it for my architcture - there was
some improvement, but it still skips alot of frames.

> > Can anyone recommend a more efficient player?
>
> I use mplayer (though I do not have an DVD drive, but e.g. mpegs from
> a CD), self compiled on my LX 533 Mhz. If I have no XVideo, it chockes
> at light loads. With XVideo I can have John running in the background
> and still zoom up mpegs and watch them fine. I think Falk Hueffner
> works heavily on the alpha optimization part. I can mail you a small
> script which nicely downloads, builds and creates a deb of mplayer
> which you can then easily install.

I wouldn't mind tryine mplayer - i noticed it wasn't available
as a standard .dep last night.

...tom