Re: booting on a microway alpha box

Jay, Jon, thanks for the responces...

I am booting from AlphaBIOS/milo (can I install SRM in it's place, it
sounds like the better option).  The milo version is older,
(v2.0.35-c5.4, but I have tried new milo's off CD and they don't seem to
help)

once in milo a show command tells me that I have fd and ide devices.  I
seem to have SCSI installed on the machine, but not used, the devices
are IDE.

If I "ls hdb0:" in milo I see I need to list the boot directory to see
linux, so I used...

boot hdb0:/boot/linux root=/dev/hdb0
(I've tried /dev/hdb for root as well)

This boots the kernel but gets to:
---
Freeing unused kernel memory: 184K free
Waring: unable to open initial console
Kernel panic: No init found Try passing init= option to kernel
---

at this point I have tried a number of different combination, but seem
to not be able to fall on the correct one, hoping to find help here..

thanks!
doug