Re: alpha-kernel 2.4.18

Linus Gasser wrote:
Hi,
am I right that the alpha-kernel-binary 2.4.18 doesn't have the 'legacy start-address' thingy? And that it's normal I can't use it with my completly outdated MILO? And that I have to compile it on my own?

Ineiti

I havn't checked it recently (last 3-4 weeks) but it didn't have the "legacy" support compiled in when I tried it. I definately had to re-compile to change this option. You can check the config file to find out.

The outdated milo is more "iffy"... I am using the milo version 2.0.36c7b and it will start to load it just fine. It fails when it tries to start up the scsi controller driver code (which fails some built-in tests) then disconnects the scsi controller and then does a kernel panic because it cannot find a "root" partition to mount. My scsi controller is a NCR 810a. Paul Slootman reports it boots just fine off a QLogic scsi controller and a 2.0.35 series milo. Depending on your hardware, it might boot... or it might not with the "outdated" milo. My problem (that I cannot seem to get past) is almost certainly in the kernel code for my scsi controller and not in milo.

Be advised it uses the initrd.img for boot so you have to pass it the proper argument(s)... "boot sd3:vmlinuz root=/dev/sd3 initrd=/initrd.img" for example. You might also have to declare your ramdisk size to be 8192K... if your milo was compiled to initialize it to a smaller size. I recall the initrd.img file was around 4500K in size... a bit larger than the 4096K "default" on some milos.

People using the SRM console seem to be booting it just fine, so if you have a SRM console available, use it!

Cheers & Good Luck!

-Don Spoon-