Re: What have we learned? (WAS -RE: Idea: Reponse to the responses( was RE: Interesting idea....(at least I think so) ))

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 06:02:31PM -0400, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> > There are three basic demands
> > for machines of a given architecture:
> >
> >     * Autobuilding.  As a maintainer, I can safely say that alpha
> >       binaries for my packages are autobuilt very promptly after source
> >       upload, so there's no big need there.
>
> True, the autobuilder is quite capable.  However, I'm not sure if it's
> also providing developer access.  If it is, and it's not as fast as the

The autobuilder is currently running on lully, which is more capable than
any of the other alpha machines available.  Indeed, it is one of the top two
fastest buildds.

> >     * Miscellaneous machines for maintainers who need to debug/test
> >       their packages on a given architecture.  Haven't heard this need
> >       expressed for alpha either (though ARM often gets this complaint).
>
> for an extended length of time due to serious hardware problems.  I
> believe those issues to be resolved, but am not sure about the current
> status of them (I wanted to verify that the systems were healthy myself,

We current have three alphas available for developer access.  faure (potato),
lully (woody), and escher (woody).

> but haven't had the opportunity yet).  ARM and powerpc still seem to
> suffer from a lack of developer-accessible machines, however.

arm has one developer accessable machine rameau, running potato.  There is
insufficient disk space for chroots for general use.  debussy has the
available hardware, but has not been returned to the colo for several months
now.  powerpc has one developer accessable machine voltaire, running sid.
There isn't enough space for chroots for general use, but given that it
runs sid, it isn't that much of a problem.  Additional arm machines can
be accessed by contacting pb, the port leader, an additional alpha is
available by contacting rkrusty.

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.