Network no work

Hi all,

I'm running Woody with a 2.4.18 kernel (from packages) on a PC64, my network
card uses the de4x5 module which is not loaded at boot, and when I load it
by hand using insmod it doesn't "take" any of the settings in
/etc/network/interfaces (IP address etc)  I remember when doing the first
apt-get update && upgrade after installing, some script warning that it
couldn't convert /etc/network/interfaces.

Also, how do I get a module to load at boot time?

Cheers,
Rob