RE: Fw: 3.0.17 woody install boot disks won't net install?

Paul,

Pardon the reply from Outlook, but I happened to be in
Winders finishing my taxes when I got your E-Mail.  It
promptly d/l your message and erased it from my ISP's mail
server :(  I am not connected well enough to get it over to
one of the Linux machines..

You are correct in that milo (any version that works with
the XLT) does not seem to be the "problem" directly.  It
finds the controller and hard drives, grabs the kernel, then
starts the bootup process just fine.  The problem comes in
AFTER the kernel is unzipped and starts to execute.  When it
hits the kernel code that inits the NCR53c810a, it barfs,
disconnects the controller card (and all attached HDs) from
the PCI bus, then starts complaining that it cannot find the
root partition to mount.  The end result is a kernel panic.
This apparently only happens if you are booting off the NCR
controller card.  I think you demonstrated that it loads and
works OK if it is NOT the boot controller.  This behaviour
DOES make a difference if the NCR controller is the only one
on the system!  You have demonstrated a "fall-back" solution
(get another controller card), but a current cash-flow
problem here in the form of a daughter getting "wedded" will
probably prevent any immediate implementation of this course
of action :)

I did a Google search on "ncr53c810a" and found a handful of
reports with similar complaints as Harm's & mine.
Unfortunately, most of those were not in English, so I
couldn't get much out of them.  Here is one that has
identical results with the 2.4.17 kernel, and apparently
works OK with the 2.2.19 kernel from what I can devine.
http://www.sslug.dk/emailarkiv/alpha/2002_01/msg00003.html .
I tried sending an E-Mail to the author, but it bounced on
me.

Since we have essentially hijacked the original thread name,
do you think this would be worthy of starting a new thread??

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-