Slow network connection

Well, I finally got my Ruffian installed, and it now runs Potato quite well,
except for one thing.  When I connect to my Cox.net cable-modem connection,
I get only about 2.5 - 6 kB/s. The same machine, unsing the same NIC and the
same network settings, got about 350 kB/s at my buddy's house when
installing packages from debian.org, using apt-get.  He is also on Cox,
although he is in a different area.  Other than the location, the only other
difference was that, at his house, my Alpha was connecting through a
Speedstream SOHO router, and here, it's directly connected.  Anybody got any
ideas?

Thanks to all who offered advice with getting this machine booted, the real
problem turned out to be a bad RAM chip.

Peace,
--Shannon