Re: Alpha newbie install woes

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Donald R. Spoon wrote:

> Alastair Watts wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Liam Bedford wrote:
> >

> >>well, IIRC, the 2.0 MILO doesn't support sparse superblocks (which Debian
> >>asks about). And I'm trying to remember if I could boot 2.4 kernels from
> >>it..
> >>

> > It can boot 2.4 kernels, but you need to compile the 2.4 kernel with the
> > Alpha Legacy Start Address option on, as MILO won't read it from the ELF
> > headers but has hit hard coded instead.
> >
> >>From memory I couldn't get ANY of the 2.2 MILO's to work, but had a
> > reasonable success (I'm using it) with I think the 2.0.33 MILO.
>
> This really interests me!  I have an Alpha 300 XLT that only runs off
> ALPHABIOS and I have had absolutly NO luck with the current 2.2.X MILOs.
>   It compiles just fine if you follow the instructions but ALWAYS hangs
> when jumping to the PAL code address before even getting to the MILO
> prompt.  I can boot and install the Alpha "testing" from an older MILO
> from the 2.0.35 kernel (milo-2.0.35-c7b).  As you (or someone else)
> mentioned, the SRM route is NOT an option for this machine.  It is
> ALPHABIOS only.

I don't think the 2.2 MILOs have ever worked on the XL series. The problem
is that Stephan doesn't have one of these to test on. Luckily I have a
XL300 that should be freed up soon, and as soon as it's out it will be on
it's way to Germany for him to use. I know it's not an immediate solution,
but with any luck it should allow him to fix this problem.

regards,
--rdp

--
Rich Payne