Re: Alpha newbie install woes

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Donald R. Spoon wrote:

> This really interests me!  I have an Alpha 300 XLT that only runs off
> ALPHABIOS and I have had absolutly NO luck with the current 2.2.X MILOs.
>   It compiles just fine if you follow the instructions but ALWAYS hangs
> when jumping to the PAL code address before even getting to the MILO
> prompt.  I can boot and install the Alpha "testing" from an older MILO
> from the 2.0.35 kernel (milo-2.0.35-c7b).  As you (or someone else)
> mentioned, the SRM route is NOT an option for this machine.  It is
> ALPHABIOS only.

Your experience with the 2.2 MILOs mirrors mine exactly :)

> So far, I have discovered that the compiler doesn't like the devfs
> option (won't compile), the "freeze" I initially experienced with the
> kernel-image package was due to the "Alpha Legacy Start Address" option
> not being selected in that compile, and both the older NCR53c810 and the
> "new" SYM53c810 SCSI drivers (needed for the built-in SCSI controller)
> will cause a kernel panic during initial kernel loading. This happens on
> BOTH SCSI drivers but the newer version gets further along than the
> older one.  The older one will panic during the probing phase and will
> disconnect the controller from the bus causing the well know "could not
> mount root file system" error!  The newer one will detect the
> controller, but will panic later in the controller setup process.  Both
> complain about a "cache" being corrupted.

I'm running 2.4.7 with the new SYM53c810 driver, without an issue. I might
try compiling 2.4.18 and seeing if I get the same result as you. The
machine this is on is an XLT 366

> I am posting this here to document my experiences for the group FWIW,
> but I would REALLY be interested in your particular Hardware setup (type
> of SCSI Controller?) and any other insights you might have.  Also, could
> you confirm the version of MILO you are using??

Can confirm later tonight, however it's definately a 2.0 MILO booting the
2.4.7 kernel. I think it's 2.0.33 MILO, but it might be 2.0.35.

--

Alastair Watts			Phone:	+61-414-558500
Network Systems Consultant	Fax:	+61-414-558505