Re: Odd message

On Wed 03 Apr 2002, Tim Patti wrote:

> Recently I started getting this message when I use poff or uptime-
>
> timp@neuromancer:~$ uptime
> Unknown HZ value! (2019) Assume 1024.
> 14:53:31 up 49 days, 22:57,  1 user,  load average: 1.52, 1.16, 1.05
>
> This started when my uptime got up to 47 days or so.

48 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 4 seconds approximately, I'd say :-)
(The point at which the uptime reaches 2^32 jiffies.)

This would indicate that something overflows, messing up the HZ field.
Strange that poff also gives this, I'd understand uptime as it
explicitly needs the jiffies counter.

That said, I've never seen this myself. And it looks like uptime reads
/proc/uptime, /proc/stat etc. to get these things so it should be fairly
immune.

Could you run "strace uptime"? Send me the output offline if it's a lot
(although it's reasonably small when I try it).  Is your procps package
up to date?

Paul Slootman