Re: Qlogic ISP 1020 hangs on boot

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 04:14:42PM -0200, Leonardo Alcantara Moreira wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian on an DS10, but the installation in
> hanging on boot, just after it probes the Qlogic ISP 1020.
>
> I have followed some threads regarding the Qlogic ISP on this lists,
> but I suppose that it is not a cable or tape driver problem as I
> suceeded to flawlessly install RedHat 7.2.
>
> I think it is interesting to realize that the I/O base is reported
> as 0xb800 by debian and as 0x8000 by RH.

This is most likely caused by different kernels being used.

> Here follows a screen copy of the debian boot:
>
> scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 00 device 78 irq 39 I/O base 0xb800
>   Vendor: DEC       Model: RZ2DD-KS (C) DEC  Rev: 0306
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected SCSI disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> <computer hangs>
>
> and the RH dmesg:
> Linux version 2.4.3-12 (root@george.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-85)) #1 Fri Jun 8 13:20:17 EDT 2001
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5)
> scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 00 device 78 irq 39 I/O base 0x8000
>   Vendor: DEC       Model: RZ2DD-KS (C) DEC  Rev: 0306
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Vendor: DEC       Model: TLZ10    (C) DEC  Rev: 04a8
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The last device detected by the RH kernel's QLogic driver is the tape,
the TLZ10. Tape drives are notoriously bad luck on some versions of
the QLogic driver - it seems the Debian install has one of them... :-(

Quick solution: unplug the tape drive and try Debian again.

You can find a much more reliable QLogic driver at:

	www.feral.com

with patches to fit it into a number of different (stock) kernel sources.

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K15         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com