Re: anyone running smp?

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:51:55PM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:55:31PM -0500, Tom Vier wrote:
> > i just can't get an smp kernel working on my up2000+. i've tried disabling a
> > bunch of config options, but nothing made a difference. it panics right
> > after printing the "posix compliance testing by..." line. 2.4.19 and 2.4.20.
> >
> > i can't be the only one with an smp machine. any help would be greatly
> > apperciated; this thing cost a lot, and i hate only using half it's
> > potential. even working .config files could help me track down where the bug
> > is.
>
> Which compiler ?

2.95.4, from debian stable. i also have 3.0.4 from stable installed.

> We have an SMP machine (a rawhide) which we can get to boot SMP ONLY
> with the precompiled kernels provided by RedHat so far. I'd suggest
> to try them out first. Since not only the kernel patches need to be
> applied (which you can take out the rpm of redhat) but also the
> compiler needs patches (2.9x-branch) you might be better off going to
> 3.2 and retrying their.

thanks for the reply, btw. i can't believe there aren't more alpha smp
users. heh, maybe they're all on the redhat list.

i'll try building the latest gcc from testing or unstable and getting the
redhat src rpm and looking at the patches. the mainline kernel should work,
though, i mean in principle. redhat should push those changes upstream.

--
Tom Vier <tmv@comcast.net>
DSA Key ID 0xE6CB97DA