help with install on a non-onboard SCSI controller

Hi, I am trying to install debian onto an
AlphaStation 255 and it appears to have a bad
onboard SCSI controller -- I cannot boot from
any SCSI devices, and when I netboot I get this:

sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 6, function 0
sym53c8xx: 53c810a detected
sym53c810a-0: rev 0x11 on pci bus 0 device 6 function 0 irq 11
sym53c810a-0: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity Checking
sym53c810a-0: suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
sym53c810a-0: dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x3ffff, expecting0
sym53c810a-0: FATAL ERROR: CHECK SCSI BUS - CABLES, TERMINATION, DEVICE POWER e!
sym53c810a-0: giving up ...
ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 6, function 0
ncr53c8xx: 53c810a detected
ncr53c810a-0: rev 0x11 on pci bus 0 device 6 function 0 irq 11
ncr53c810a-0: ID 7, Fast-10, Parity Checking
ncr53c810a-0: suspicious SCSI data while resetting the BUS.
ncr53c810a-0: dp0,d7-0,rst,req,ack,bsy,sel,atn,msg,c/d,i/o = 0x3ffff, expecting0
ncr53c810a-0: FATAL ERROR: CHECK SCSI BUS - CABLES, TERMINATION, DEVICE POWER e!
ncr53c810a-0: detaching...
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

I tried adding and removing terminators, removing the disk, removing cdrom,
having no devices on the bus, turning off the termination jumper, changing
out the SCSI cable -- pretty much every iteration of the SCSI bus i could
come up with.  Still no luck.

Ok, I can deal with the SCSI controller being dead.  I have both
a PCI BusLogic bt-947c SCSI controller and an ISA Adaptec 1542b.
However it seems that the debian alpha installation kernel doesn't
support either of these cards, and there are no modules for the
installation kernel to support these cards either.  Obviously I
can't do any installation until the installer can see a disk to
install onto.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get through an install
on this machine?  Help with either the onboard controller or
my other SCSI cards would be great.  I'm thinking, if someone
has a BusLogic or aha1542 module already compiled for 2.2.20,
that would be helpful. (Apparently cross-compiling the kernel
for alpha on i386 is non-trivial)

thanks,
matt toups
mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu