Re: Mylex Extremeraid 3000 + DAC960 woes.

Hi,

> You didn't say, but is there any chance you are running that UP2000
> with more than 2GB of memory? If so, then be aware that the stock
> DAC960 driver has NOT been ported to use the large memory API.

No, it's running *exactly* with 2gig of main memory - which is the
maximum possible config for the UP2000 ( 8*256meg ).

> If you DO have more than 2GB of memory, a simple test to see if this
> is the cause of the problem would be to boot limiting memory to 2GB,
> ie, add "mem=2G" to the boot command line.

Thanks for the hint, but i assume 2gig itselt should not create
problems.

> If this is indeed the case, I do have some (unofficial) patches to
> the DAC960 driver which appear to work for large memory configurations.
> Let me know if you want them.

If you have patches, you have compiled it ;-)
May i ask, what "method" you use, to get the DAC-driver compiled ?
I haven't found anything working, besides redefining the functions
in the DAC-drivers from "static inline" to "static". As far as i understand,
that should not have any impact on functionality, but rather on performance.
( Currently, I'd care more to get the da** thing running ;-)

I have tried 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-rc2, both with the same results.
Aside from allowing transfers to/from memory greater than 2gig, is
there anything your patches do, that might help ?

I'd be happy to give them a try..

Regards,
T. Weyergraf

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )