Re: 600ua questions

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 11:08:45PM +0300, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:

> 1. It has two SCSI discs and QLogic adapter, how fast could be SCSI
>    I/O? right after install copying files from one to another is done
>    one ~2Mb/s...

I believe the adapter is a QLogic ISP-1040, good to 40MB/sec, ie
Ultra Wide. But it will only be as good as the disks, so if you
have 20MB/sec drives, that's your limit.

> 2. A friend of mine has a 533Mhz PC164 alpha with IDE disk, and he
>    says it is very slow, even I remember Jay Estabrook wrote here,
>    that up to 16Mb/s could be gained on IDE. Can anyone clarify?

You may need to enable/use the CYPRESS 693 (IIRC) IDE driver to wring the
best performance from it.

> 3. The soundcard that comes with Miatas are ISA Creative SoundBlaster?

ES1888, as someone else mentioned. This is SB Pro (ie 8-bit) equivalent
IIRC. Also, IRQ 5, DMA 0, normal IO base for SB (0x330?).

> 4. What kernel modules/features correspond to Ethernet and FDDI
>    adapters installed in the system?

Use the TULIP module (or DE4X5) with the builtin 21143 NIC chipset.

> 5. I have _two_ 4D20T cards in it, both with 3D glasses sockets and
>    even I know, this cards are rather old compared with modern ones,
>    it will be great to get something of them. Any chance?

These are OEMed cards from Itergraph (IIRC), and are not supported
under XFree86, AFAIK.

> 6. Can anyone summarise MILO vs aboot stuff?

Use SRM and aboot.

> 7. Point me at how do I make my alpha booting automaticly. Now I need
>    to type "boot" in SRM and "0" in aboot prompt.

	>>> set AUTO_ACTION BOOT

and set the boot_* parameters appropriately; example:

	>>> set boot_def_dev dka0
	>>> set boot_file "2/boot/vmlinux.gz"
	>>> set boot_osflags "root=/dev/sda2 single"

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com