Re: apt-get locks machine.

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:06:02AM +1100, Richard Heycock wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 00:56, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> >
> > You're sure living dangerously. Anyway, have you tried running apt at
> > the console, so you can see if the kernel spits out anything there
> > before it dies? I suppose nothing is logged in /var/log/kern.log?
>
> :-) I've had absolutlely no problems at all with XFS, though I have to
> say this isn't a heavily loaded machine.

Well, I was more referring to the 2.4.0 kernel than XFS - I have no
experience at all with the latter.

> I've tried running apt on the console and there was no output to the
> console. There is also nothing in kern.log.

Then the only clue I can offer is this link:
http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20010528_120.html#2

It's not alpha-specific and basically the only solution it offers is to
wait until the VM brokenness of the early 2.4 kernels is cured a little.
It does have the same (hard lockup) symptoms though, although that
doesn't say too much of course.

Have you tried a full fsck, like the other poster suggested? What about
memory conditions just before the system freezes?

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info