Re: Double trouble - NFS don't work, and then 2.2.19 -> 2.4.18 woes

Phil Carmody <thefatphil@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Anyway, I noticed the initrd= option in the initrd manpage, and guessed that
> I should add it to the environment variable in the initial alphabios screen,
> so I now have tried all three of
>  boot sda3:/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-generic initrd=/inirtd.img root=/dev/sda3
>  boot sda3:/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-generic initrd=/boot/inirtd.img-2.4.18-generic root=/dev/sda3
>  boot sda3:/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-generic initrd=sda3:/boot/inirtd.img-2.4.18-generic
> root=/dev/sda3
> and they all do the same thing, which is a bit quick to describe in any
> detail, bu here goes.
> I get a 'this is a gzipped kernel' message, and about 3 rows of '#'s,
> then some line with two 64-bit hex addresses in - ' bootstrap complete,
> kernal at %llx, sp = %lls ' or something

I suspect you would've seen a message saying that the initrd is too big.

Unfortunately MILO is unable to load any initrd images lrager than 2M
currently.  What you can do is use the -k option to mkinitrd, which will
leave a copy of the initrd in /tmp/.../initrd.  Then you can delete
any modules that you don't need in there.  Once you're done, the initrd
image can be regenerated with
	mkcramfs /tmp/.../initrd /initrd.img