Re: Woody install Oops on Rawhide?

Nipper wrote:

Jerome Warnier wrote:

I had exactly the same problem on the same machine.
Woody was not yet "stable", though.

Here's how I to solved the problem:
In short, I added temporarly another disk (on the scsi controller for the cdrom), installed Woody just to be able te compile a 2.4.18 kernel (with gcc-3.0, I had a problem compiling the DAC960 driver with gcc-2.95). Note: it seems the DAC960 drivers won't work either if configured as module (you have to put it in the kernel).
I then copied my system to the DAC960-controlled disks.
It's no piece of cake, but since then (back november 2001), the machine is running really fine (just a problem with aboot not choosing automatically to boot, have to press "0" and <enter>, I don't care, I don't have to reboot it often!).

PS: if you need the kernel or the config file, I can send it to you. I even think I made a kernel package of it.

Hi Jerome, thanks for the reply! I was worried I might not get anything. :)

That sounds like what I was planning. You installed potato then? I was hoping to avoid downloading a complete potato iso, so I got the 2.2r7 bootfloppies. They booted okay, but didn't recognize their own driver floppies! How did you get potato on, or what version did you use? Is there a minimal install iso for alpha?

I did install an earlier version of Woody (made around) the potato-install.
By this time, you should be able to find bootable Woody versions for Alpha.
You just need be able booting from the cdrom/floppy and install a small system on another disk to build a custom kernel with DAC960.o in the kernel, and not as module. Again, you are not sure, I can give you my kernel config (for 2.4.18), or the kernel package itself.

Thanks for the tips!
Stephen.