Re: Perl 5.8

Linus Gasser <ineiti@linusetviviane.ch> writes:

> Hello,
> just to check I'm not completly bugging up my computer: anyone else having
> troubles with perl 5.8? I'm using testing, and a
>
> apt-get install bins
>
> gives a nice
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   bins: Depends: libxml-perl but it is not going to be installed
>         Depends: libxml-grove-perl but it is not going to be installed
>         Depends: libxml-handler-yawriter-perl but it is not going to be
> installed
>         Depends: libgladexml-perl but it is not going to be installed
>         Depends: libglade-perl but it is not going to be installed
>         Depends: libgnome-perl but it is not going to be installed
>         Depends: libgtk-imlib-perl but it is not going to be installed
>         Depends: libxml-xql-perl but it is not going to be installed
>
> Anyone else can reproduce this? Shall I just wait for these packages to be
> built against perl-5.8 and then re-try?

The problem is probably all the same. perl provided perlapi-5.6.1 but
no provides perlapi-5.8.

The dinstall script doesn't care about provides and just updated the
perl.

If perlapi would be a real deb I would write a bug that both versions
must be installable in parallel. You might file bugs against perl for
breaking everything. The correct way would have been not to change the
api. The next best thing to make both installable in parallel.

The soultion most likely to work is probably to file bugreports
against all those, unless already reported and get them recompiled.

MfG
        Goswin