Re: unaligned accesses

> Because of the (probable) order of magnitude more work on Alpha to
> deal with unaligned accesses, it's always been our policy to report
> their occurrences, though one will only see sporadic messages (I think
> it is 4 every so many seconds, or 4 out of every som many, or some
> such scheme). The reports are meant to strongly encourage the fixing
> of the offending code, which will benefit all architectures.

Well, on that note, I am curious about the 2.2 kernel.

I'm still using a 2.2 kernel on a UDB that I use as a NAT.
It's also a seriously hacked RH installation from way
back, before I saw the Debian light. I hack on the machine
quite a bit, but I'm hesitant to make a major chane (like
wiping it and starting with a Debian install).

The networking code seems to be generating millions of
kernel alignment fixups per day ( and during large file
transfers, like an apt-get dist upgrade from a client behind
the NAT, about a million per minute ).  Is this normal
or have I done something wrong?

I am using a WOLK kernel on the UDB ( it has back ported EXT3
and other "features" I wanted on that machine ), so that may be
the issue - perhaps I can can EXT3 support in a different way.

The ipv4 netorking code is my main suspect based on info
from /proc/cpuinfo and the kernel .map file.
I've tried loading the symbols with gdb and correlating lines,
but have had limited success.

...tom