which kernel

Hi folks,

Can anyone suggest a good kernel source to download from kernel.org. About 3
weeks ago I tried to compile a 2.4.4 kernel picked randomly and for some
reason it failed to compile I can't quite exactly remember why - I've been
fairly busy! But I should have some spare time next week. I'm really
interested in getting sound working and there doesn't seem to be anything
like sndconfig for debian. .

Also isn't there Netscape for debian? There doesn't seem to be a base file
when looking with apt get.

cheers,

Peter Watkinson
peter.watkinson1@ntlworld.com