Re: audio CD problems

Michael Heldebrant wrote:
On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 21:47, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:

On Jun 27, Shannon Menkveld illuminated :

I am trying to rip some CDs to ogg, and it seems that my Alpha can't figure out what to do with audio discs. I can mount data CD's fine, but the system seems to pretend that audio CDs don't exist. The drive is a Sony 12x24x40 CD-RW, which has never given me a problem before, even on this machine. I had to rebuild the system after losing a hard drive, and now this occurs. Is this a kernel problem, or an application problem? SInce the hardware hasn't changed, except for the HDD, it's gotta be in software, right?

if you're just ripping, then cdparanoia should get it for you.  you need
sg in the kernel (either module or statically linked)

cdparanoia -vsQ  will search for all drives (with CDs in them)

You're going to need the sg module loaded to rip audio.  Make sure that
as a user you have group read access at least to the sgX device at which
the cd lives.  This is of course assuming that the drive is SCSI.

--mike

You still need the sg module, even if you are doing SCSI emulation with an IDE/ATAPI CD drive. It is needed regardless of the type of drive

sr_mod.o module => block device for file systems
sg.o module => character device for streaming data like audio.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-