audio CD problems

I am trying to rip some CDs to ogg, and it seems that my Alpha can't figure
out what to do with audio discs.  I can mount data CD's fine, but the system
seems to pretend that audio CDs don't exist.  The drive is a Sony 12x24x40
CD-RW, which has never given me a problem before, even on this machine.  I
had to rebuild the system after losing a hard drive, and now this occurs.  Is
this a kernel problem, or an application problem?  SInce the hardware hasn't
changed, except for the HDD, it's gotta be in software, right?

TIA,
--Shannon