Re: sound configuration on woody

On Wed 19 Jun 2002, Rob wrote:

> start X and KDE I get ".device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such
> device)" . /dev/audio symlinks to /dev/dsp which is the bit it claims
> doesn't exist. What is /dev/dsp? Everything else is running great, I'm

/dev/dsp is the interface to the driver for the sound card.

> really impressed with the whole thing. There wasn't anything in the
> installer to suggest that I was configuring sound so I reckon the reason
> it doesn't work is that it's not configured. I just don't know what tool
> I should be using to configure it. By the way I know /dev/dsp does exist
> because I chmoded it to 666.  I've scoured the net and found lots of

Please take note of the different texts in the errors "no such device"
and "no such file or directory". The latter means the name you entered
can't be found, the first means the device behind the name doesn't exist
(i.e. the driver for the device isn't loaded or can't access the
corresponding hardware).

> <headscratch>The other thing that's odd is that the sound does work
> outside of X like error beeps etc, they're coming from the speakers
> connected to the sound card too not the internal speaker.</headscratch>

That's got nothing to do with the sound card. Typically the system
speaker output may be fed into the sound card so that you can use the
card's mixer to control its volume.

> Any ideas?

First try to find out what sound hardware you have *exactly*.
This is hardly alpha-specific, BTW. You will probably have more success
on the generic debian-users list. Only thing might be the question
whether your sound card is supported by the alpha kernel (although I
think most are?)

Paul Slootman