Kernel was Re: Woody now sound + kernel

Hi Folks

I installed the 2.4 kernel using dselect and now I can't boot the system properly (the system says it cant find root on /dev/sda2 - I installed on 2 partitions 1 for swap and the other for everything else + the non-partitioned space and the beginning of the disk) and have to use vmlinuz.old to boot. During installing the kernel .deb the installation asked something about initre - I think - I just ignored it ;-) and continued with the instalation was it something important?

Is the new vmlinuz a 2.4.? kernel? I'm really most interested in getting the sound on the system working :-)

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,

Peter Watkinson
peter.watkinson1@ntlworld.com
Peter Watkinson wrote:

Hi Folks,

Upgraded to Woody from potato using a mixture of Apt-Get, upgrade and -f install and dselect everything seems to be working fine except a few problems with unpacking. Now how do I upgrade the kernel? Is there a nice easy way?

Also I don't appear to have the sound card configured. This is an XP1000 is there a simple way to configure the in built sound card? Will sound support be added with a new kernel? Is there a simple way to configure the hardware like sndconfig with Redhat?

BTW can't post any email with Balsa as it can't post mail for some reason so using Mozilla mail.

Thanks for all the help so far :-)

cheers,