Re: Mozilla, netscape and potato to woody

Peter Watkinson wrote:

Hi Folks,

Got potato installed :-) Couple of questions

Is there a graphical web browser available for potato? Mozilla is listed
in dselect but it has problems with dependencies.

Netscape doesn't seem to be listed.

Dunno about Potato for the Alpha, since I havn't used it for over a year, but I "think" the only thing available was a rather ancient version of Mozilla that never did work very well for me. Netscape "is" availble as an RPM, but leaves a LOT to be desired and is probably a bit difficult to install for a "newbie" on the Alpha.

I would recommend moving quickly to Woody / "testing" since there are a LOT more options there for GUI-based browsers. I am currently running Mozilla 1.0 from "unstable" for the last couple of days, and it seems to be running quite nicely. I don't really know which version of Mozilla is in Woody now, as I have been running the Mozilla(s) out of unstable for the last couple of months without problems, but the last time I looked the 0.9.8 version seemed to work quite well for me.

You can get KDE 2.2.2 in Woody for tha Alpha too, and Konqueror under it works quite nicely. KDE for the Alpa is not availble in Potato to the best of my knowledge, but is fully functional in testing/Woody.

Beware! Have lots of memory! 128 Megs or more. I couldn't really get either KDE or Mozilla to work properly in 64 Megs, but they both work wonderfully on my XLT-300 with 256 Megs of RAM.

Is there an easy way to upgrade from potato to woody without doing a full reinstall? Can I just use dselect and point it towards woody?

You first have to modify your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point towards the right disttro (Potato or Woody). Currently, it is probably just pointed at either "potato" or "stable". You should modify it to point to "testing" or "woody". See "man apt", "man apt-get", and "man sources.list" for more info on how to do this. Once pointed at the correct dist, you can then "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade". This should get you upgraded to Woody. In my experience, this takes about as long as a full-reinstall/fresh install over my RoadRunner connection. You will probably have to "upgrade" about 250+ packages or so from your Potato install. Also, you might run into a few rough spots during the change from XFree86 3.3.6 to XFree 4.0.1 and have to do a bit of fooling around with your X install to get it working. At least several other people have reported this problem. I have generally done a fresh install recently and have NOT had any problems myself... YMMV.

Also when I use an ftp tool and look inside the woody directory there doesn't seem to be any packages listed. Why is this?

Dunno.. where are you looking and for which file(s)??  What DO you "see"?

Also when was potato released?

About Aug of 2000, I think. Woody hasn't been "officially" released yet, but is due quite soon. It is essentially about as stable as it is going to get for a while. Go for it!

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-