Re: graphical browser for alpha/stable

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your hints!  Now I know there are 3 different ways:

A) alpha/stable only:  this was discussed to some extend in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2002/debian-alpha-200201/msg00011.html

Basically this ends up in downloading some alien rpm.  I have tested
some things, nothing works for me but see below:(

B) mixing stable with testing to use mozilla and/or galeon.  I don't
want to do this up to now.  Nor do I want to upgrade to woody (since
woody becames stable in the near future?)

C) compiling mozilla and/or galeon from source (in stable): The next
thing I try if variant A) doesn't succeed.

Problems with A): every rpm I've tried with 'alien $rpm; dpkg -i $rpm'
doesn't work:

- SuSE 7.1 netscape-4.76
- ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.0/en/os/alpha/netscape-communicator-4.77-1.alpha.rpm (and netscape-common-4.77-1.alpha.rpm)
- http://tru64unix.compaq.com/internet/communicator_v478.tar.gz

All failed with the following error although the file exists, and is exutable
bash: ./netscape: No such file or directory

What is missing?

BTW: Alianating ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/linux/alphalinux/mozilla/mozilla0.9/rh-6x/mozilla-0.9-0.alpha.rpm ends up with:
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
query of mozilla-0.9-0.alpha.rpm failed
This one was only a test, no help required:)

--gk